Saturday, October 15, 2016

Enough is Enough

I hope that every woman in the country is thinking about the speech Michelle Obama gave in New Hampshire this week.  She was speaking to all of us, and she did it with class and dignity, with a raw and vulnerable voice that radiated her depth of feeling. Watching her, I literally trembled.

She said a lot of really important things that we should all think about.  Not just in this election, but always and always.  Forever. 

She said, “…This isn’t about politics.  It’s about basic human decency.  It’s about right and wrong.”

She said, “…I feel it so personally…the shameful comments about our bodies.  The disrespect of our ambitions and our intellect.”

She said, “…I can’t stop thinking about this.  It has shaken me to my core in a way that I couldn’t have predicted.” 

She said, “The men that you and I know don’t treat women this way.  They are loving fathers who are sickened by the thought of their daughters being exposed to this kind of vicious language about women.”

I avoid writing or talking openly about politics at almost all costs.  My political stance is mine, and I keep it very private, for two reasons.  One, I have a job where it would be inappropriate and irresponsible to voice my opinions.  Two, I cannot bear to argue with people I care about—about issues I care about. But this is different.  As she said, this isn't about politics.  It’s about being a woman, and mother, and teacher, and role model.  It's about being these things together, and standing up for ourselves.   

The First Lady said, “…we simply cannot endure this, or expose our children to this any longer—not for another minute, and let alone for four years.  Now is the time for all of us to stand up and say enough is enough.”

That’s what she said.  Enough is enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Overwhelmed? A Look Within

A few weeks ago, I spent the afternoon with a team of teachers interviewing applicants for an open teaching position. While I am relentless...