Monday, January 23, 2017

Struggling

I admit it:  I'm struggling with this blog.

Not the writing—I love the that part of it.  When I have a topic that works for me, my fingers fly and I capture what I'm thinking and I'm all, like, happy and stuff.

I'm struggling because I don't know what this blog is.  I know what I originally envisioned for it—a place where I ruminated on things related to leadership.  But I've noticed that "leadership" is a word that's getting pretty diluted these days.  Everyone is talking about it and lecturing on it, and I'm not sure I have anything new to add.  And I'm not really that important of a leader.  It's not like I'm running Coca-Cola or something.  So the things I'm saying about being a leader are being said a thousand other places, making my voice pretty feeble.

I've spent the last few weeks posting things and then deciding they're stupid and taking them down and then doing it all over again and again—all the while asking myself some questions about this blog and where it should go.

Is it a place for me to ramble on about things I'm thinking?  I don't want it to be that, because there are enough people out there in the world rambling (it feels like spouting off, actually), and the last thing I want is to be another one of them.

Is it a place for me to take a stand?  No.  I stand up in my own ways, in my own time, privately and with my own type of force.  My writing has never been done to take a stand on anything, and it's not going to start now.

Is it a place for me to tell stories about my job and my work?  Well, maybe.  A lot of really hilarious, profound, interesting stuff happens to me every day, just because I work in a place where 700 people from age five to sixty-five rub elbows all day.

But I don't know for sure.

I'll find my way, I hope, because I want my writing to make an impact in the world, even in a tiny little way.  I've written my book, and people are saying really nice things about it, but I want to throw something more into the universe.

If you've got ideas or opinions, let me know.  Is there something out there missing?  Something that needs considered, said, thought about, written about?

I'm thinking input from my readers might help.

((heart))

2 comments:

  1. Jen,

    Your most recent blog post about the book falling apart during a teacher's formal observation was my favorite blog post that you published. I love the sense of "keeping it real" through your writing. I'm not sure if you still write for Choice Literacy, but I've always enjoyed your perspective on various aspects of literacy. It is refreshing to see a lead learner who has a strong background in literacy.

    Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks at the literacy conference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen,

    As a parent following your blog, I appreciate hearing about the behind the scenes struggles of our educators. It gives me perspective. I hope you were being facetious when saying you are not as important a leader as a CEO of a major company...I couldn't disagree more. The leader of the people who shape my child on a daily basis is MUCH more important and the knowledge and wisdom you can share with your peers (even in small snippets) is critically important. Don't sell yourself short... I find personal value of some variety in nearly every post. I don't care what topic you choose but I encourage you to continue - yours is a voice worth hearing.

    ReplyDelete

Innovation over Complacency

The word “innovation” is all over the place in the world of education right now.   We are all pushing teachers, students, and school commun...