A friend of mine told me she was having a crappy few weeks. She was questioning her effectiveness as a teacher, her impact, her role. She was half-heartedly considering other employment options. "I'll be okay," she said, "But I just have to work on being cheerful right now."
That’s how a lot of us are feeling this time of year. It takes effort to stay positive and grateful.
Not far from my house is a well-traveled road alongside which is a super-long stretch of corporate buildings. It’s a suburbanized industrial park; you can take a right turn at any point and get lost in overlapping loopy roads with office buildings. Big ones.
There’s this one, though.
I have no idea what they do inside all day every day; I
don’t know what they “make” or what work they are producing. I have no idea what happens in the cubicles
and offices within. Sometimes I imagine that the people all go in and
sit and stare at the wall, just waiting.
For something.
Or maybe they do something fabulous for the world. I don't know.
Regardless, whenever I drive by the building, I think to
myself, “I am so effing grateful I don’t have to walk into those doors every
day of my life. “
Because every day, I get to walk into a building where there
are children. And children give us hope, and energy, and
laughter.
So there’s that.
Stay positive, friends.
We’ve got this.