Sunday, January 8, 2017

Most Impressive Mannequin Challenge in the World?

Our staff performs a variety show for our students on the day before holiday break.  Teachers create little skits--singing, dancing, spoofing--and the students get to just sit back and watch.  The skits reveal the creative, fun, zany personalities of our staff members; students howl with laughter and delight.  It's one of my favorite activities of our year.

videoThis year, we got all spontaneous in the middle of the show.  The fifth grade teachers had just performed a faux snowball fight, which culminated in a mid-fight Mannequin Challenge.  "We should do a school-wide one," whispered Mrs. Stanley, who was standing next to me.

"Let's do it," I said.  We grinned at one another.  The timing was perfect for a little unplanned fun.

I grabbed the microphone.  "Would you all like to do a Mannequin Challenge like that?"  There was a collective happy shout:  "YES YES YES YES!!"  (Some kids had no idea what I was talking about, but they were clearly up for anything, so... yeah.) The music teacher scrambled on her laptop for the right music, and right then and there, we staged a silent this-side-against-that-side snowball fight.  630 kids and 70 grown-ups stood stock-still (well, almost).  One teacher walked up and down the sea of mannequins and filmed.
We shared the video with teachers so they could show their classes later in the day.  The result was pretty good, if I do say so myself.

I know, I know--Mannequin Challenges are so #lastfall.  But who cares?

I love that I have a job where something like this can just happen.  Where we can go off the script, so to speak, and have some fun.  No planning, no overthinking, no assigned jobs or responsibilities.  Just fun... and simply because it's fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Innovation over Complacency

The word “innovation” is all over the place in the world of education right now.   We are all pushing teachers, students, and school commun...